Friday, January 29, 2010

I jogged

After a painful six week introduction at home, I was admitted to a local hospital and diagnosed with GBS on March 28, 2009. I became paralyzed from the neck down, undergoing both plasmapheresis and IVIG treatments, over the course of 5 1/2 weeks. I spent the next 11 1/2 weeks in a rehab facility. On July 24, 2009, I came home in a wheelchair. I have since transitioned to a walker, to a cane and finally independent walking. How great it felt to walk again!

Those of you who know firsthand about GBS, know how devastating this snydrome can be. Each of us has a deeply personal story to share with others in the hope that together it helps make things easier for us. Many days, as GBS sufferers, our victories are small and almost unmeasureable. It's very realistic to doubt our progress at times. But it is my reassurance that with a positive attitude along with others factors such as faith, family, friends and therapists, our lives will improve. Please know that there are others who empathize with you, understand your ordeals, and that things will get better. My experience is alot like yours in that it got up to my neck and then to the top of my head on the right side. Was at U of M for 5 weeks then rehab for a couple months. I only had ivig and was tested daily for lung test. All is well but my feet that are Getting Better Slowley. Its been 2 years tommorow. I am 55 years old. I ran a marrathon in 1982.I ran that after I broke my leg. Its almost dejavu now to run again.

No comments:

Post a Comment